Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Scrambled

There's a waiter at the Australian Dairy Co. who doesn't seem to understand your Cantonese when you have an English menu in front of you.

*points to lunch set on Chinese menu* Ngo yiu li go (I want this one)
You want fried? scrambled?
Chow
Scrambled?
Chow
Scrambled?
*sigh* Scrambled
Ham? Bbq pork?
Cha siu
Bbq pork
Yes, bbq pork...

That was the first time when I went with Alice, Paris & Justin.  About a week later, I went with Alice, Laura & Lydia and got him again.  This time, he eventually gave in midway and switched to canto.  Both times, I've found the conversation quite amusing.  Either it's a game of who gives in first or he just has a hearing problem.

Australian Dairy Company is a famous "Hong Kong style" restaurant on Parkes Street in Jordan.  It's always packed and the service is speedy.  Less than a minute after you order, the food arrives and the second you're done, the hawk-eyed waiters will snatch the finished plate away.

Every time, I get their popular lunch set of macaroni soup, buttered toast, ham, and the BEST scrambled eggs ever.  In my opinion, they're worth the be rushed, eat fast, and leave in 10 environment, but if you're lucky, you can get a corner table tucked away--giving you the extra 10 minutes to digest, which is what happened the first time.  When I still have room, I'll also get dun lai (steamed milk), which is a custard/pudding-like dessert that's really simple (milk & sugar), but oh so good...especially for a milk lover like me.

I still don't know why it's called Australian Dairy Co. when they use Kowloon Dairy milk.  Anyone know?




Alice & Paris<--the only thing Australian about the place
Our waiter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment