Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blue

I've been spoiled this past week.  Spoiled by the beauty of the beaches in the Philippines where the water is so clear you can see the sand below until it gradually deepens into a glittering aquamarine and borders a deep blue only nature can paint.


We arrived early Monday morning at 4AM in Cebu City and eventually made our way over to Moalboal, a small town on the southwestern coast of Cebu.  Other than a few small streets catering to tourists in Panagsama Beach, the rest of the area was rural, with families living what seemed like the simple life.  Moalboal was initially the destination of choice for scuba diving, but after walking around, we realized we only needed to spend a day there.

In the afternoon, we took a tricycle to Kawasan Falls and showed up only to find that they wanted to charge us 3000 pesos to take a raft to the waterfall.  If you ever go, don't fall for this trick.  We didn't want to pay, so Kevin led the way, hiking up above the waterfall until we found a lagoon above the main waterfall.  The others walked in first and after some hesitation, Laura and I eventually stripped down and went in.  The water was fresh and cool--a nice contrast to chlorine pools and salty ocean water.  I couldn't stop thinking, "OMG we're swimming on the top of a waterfall!" I floated along on my back looking up at butterflies and tree branches against the sky.  I don't consider myself a nature/outdoorsy girl, but when you're in a place like this, you can't help but appreciate nature for the beauty it offers.

After some more exploring around the falls, we headed back to Moalboal and took another ride to White Beach, where we watched the sunset.  I fell asleep on my towel and woke up to local kids laughing and playing nearby.  It was already dark and we looked up to see the stars--something I haven't seen in a while.




Panagsama Beach, Moalboal


Kawasan Falls

 
Susnet at White Beach, Moalboal

No comments:

Post a Comment