Saturday, March 13, 2010

Eh eh eh



One of my (unhealthy) obsessions this past year has been korean pop music aka kpop!  2NE1 is one of my fave groups because they have catchy tunes, crazy outfits, they bring a different vibe to the kpop scene, and they don't act super cheesy cutesy like most kpop girl groups.  At first I thought this tune was ok/pretty good, but I think the video brings it to life.

Unexpectedly, we saw a lot of Korean dive shops, restaurants, churches and people in the Philippines.  Wiki tells me that Koreans in the Philippines "form the largest Korean diaspora community in Southeast Asia and the eighth-largest in the world, after Korean Australians and before Koreans in Kazakhstan."  Something I would have never known otherwise. *I forgot to add that one of the girls in 2NE1, Sandara, is actually an example of a Korean who lived in the Philippines.

With the hallyu wave ever expanding, we also heard 2NE1's "Fire" twice and Wonder Girls' "Nobody" a few times during the trip.  While we were in a shopping center in Dumaguete, "Nobody" came on, causing an employee and Laura to sing right then and there.  Made for a fun shopping experience : )

No comments:

Post a Comment