Friday, September 25, 2009

Sweet Tooth

I forget the Chinese name, but it's just soft toasted bread, butter, and condensed milk.  Perfect for afternoon tea--a tradition picked up from Hong Kong's colonial days.  Beware, the milk tea can keep you up for days.  Simple and delicious.
@ Tsui Wah in Central w/ my aunt



A favorite since childhood: dan tat or egg tart.  I don't eat it a whole lot back home, but here, I've been in search of the best one.  Needs: flaky crusts over cookie crusts and the custard should be just right in sweetness.  Po tat, the Portuguese version famous in Macau, is good too of course.
This one is from a bakery near my aunt's in Ma On Shan in the New Territories.  So far, it's been the best.



I've never heard of Hui Lau Shan until I came here.  Apparently it's in California, but it might just be more popular in NorCal.  It's everywhere in HK, sort of a fast food dessert place with numerous mango desserts that I know my friend Sara would love.
Pictured are different forms of mango with sago and coconut milk.  The watermelon one was refreshing.  Plus, I <3 watermelon!





Honeymoon Dessert is another popular dessert station, but better.  My cousin took me to the original/first shop in Sai Kung in the New Territories where we tried durian pancake, mango sago with grass jelly and pomelo, coconut milk with sago and green tea, and I tried a spoonful of her friend's walnut with tofu.  I've never tried durian before and it wasn't bad!  It was definitely different for a fruit.  I'll have to eat it again.



My cousin claims she's had more desserts this past month than she ever does because of me. : )

3 comments:

  1. tsui wah is cha chan teng legend here in hk. i love that bread too! i think its called ju jai bao (but then it sounds too close to pork bun bao, macanese style, so i might be wrong).

    there's a hui lau shan in sf. there's also a hui lau shan knock off in LA's san gabriel on valley blvd, across from dragon mark/beard papa.

    there's more little dessert places that are kinda famous here in mong kok. i'll take you! along with dun dan, dun lai and super good won ton mein!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a good $5 dan tat place in Soho... especially when you get them right when they've made a fresh batch.

    ReplyDelete