Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm On A Boat!


My face is a bit pink, my body's sore and I'm a bit sniffly, but I had an amazing time playing on the sandy beach of a random island, riding a "banana boat," and chilling on a yacht.

Today my cousin, Mary, took me with her on a boat trip coordinated by one of her friends. It's popular in HK to go on boat trips in order to escape the hectic city life and relax for a whole day. In the morning, we departed from Sai Kung, which is located on the east coast of the New Territories. I got a glimpse of it and it's a town I definitely need to go back to and explore.

We went out until we reached a small island (the name of which I forgot already) where I played games (which is why I'm sore) with my cousin's friend's friends (to be specific) like one called "Counting Numbers" in cantonese, a squirrel/tree game, volleyball, and a version of dodgeball on the beach. Then we waded in the water to cool off. It was the perfect temperature unlike the freezing water back home--though the only downside is that their water is saltier (rather unpleasant up your nose).

After a few hours under the sun, we went back onto the boat and ate tasty tasty chicken, crab, fish balls, etc. prepared by the cook. The boat moved on out onto an open area where they took people out on a small speedboat to go wakeboarding--something I totally wanted to do, but the boat was too full so while we waiting around, we just swam near the boat.  I did however get to ride a banana boat!  My groups were pretty good, so we stayed on for a good amount of time until we fell off when the captain sped up the boat too much or went on crazy sharp turns.

After all that, we dried off and laid out on the yacht...I'm on a boat style until we reached Sai Kung by 5pm. 'Tis the life.

My cousin and my closed eyes on the beach of the island :)
playing a version of dodgeball
remnants of the feast

banana boat!

32 people!

Back in Sai Kung, we walked around and went to Honeymoon Dessert or "moon gei" in canto (though moon gei doesn't mean honeymoon?). It's a popular chain in HK and we went to the first/original place where I tried a bunch of desserts including durian! Well, durian in dessert and it wasn't bad! I've never eaten durian, so it was interesting/tasted like something/ok/good/need to try it again and again. By the time we finished, it started pouring. A typhoon just arrived and luckily, not when we were on the boat.

My cousin and I waited until it subsided and then headed to the bus stop to go back to Mong Kok in HK Island. While we stood there, thunder roared, lightning struck, the wind blew, tension in the air...the elements of a disaster movie. A mini bus came around, but it was full when there were only 2 people ahead of us--soo close! We waited..and waited..and then it poured. It was really like taking a shower in the rain. Everyone in line scrambled to get something to cover up--mainly towels, which helped, but of course it was soaking wet. By the time we all got on the bus, we were dripping wet and the A/C was on hence my sniffles here and there now. We warmed up with fish ball noodle soup in Mong Kok and went back home to take some nice hot showers.

Walking around Sai Kung...they're known for seafood (but I think this was just for show)

Honeymoon Dessert
There are 2 spots next to each other. One for durian and the other without.
durian "pancake"-one of many desserts we ate

(Day 19 of life in Hong Kong and I am finally blogging. A goal of mine was to update frequently, but I still need to get into the habit. Not really a space to be writerly, but to remind myself of what I'm doing here when I look back on this experience)

1 comment:

  1. moon kei's mango pancake is my favorite!
    they have "wu jo" milk tea (sesame soup with regular milk tea) which is another one of my all time faves.
    though its an easy mini-bus ride to sai kung here in mong kok where i reside, if you don't have much time, there's moon kei retailers all over hk malls now. i know there's one in city super in causeway bay, and the food court in langham place mall in mong kok, also, in the food court of APM mall in kwun tong.

    ReplyDelete