Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ting Bu Dong


My sister, Liz, me and my cousin, Mary in Ximen, Taipei

I started the new year off with a weekend trip to Taiwan with my sister and cousin from the first to the third--short, but eventful in that we left with full and happy stomachs and new clothes (can't have enough!).  Taipei essentially equals a shopping and eating trip, which is what we succeeded at.  My cousin had been there about five times before and speaks some Mandarin, so she led the way for a chill trip.  What surprised me was how much Taipei reminded me of Seoul.  They're both more spread out in comparison to Hong Kong (which I've realized is extremely dense compared to every other city) and Ximen, as pictured above, looked a hell of a lot like Myeongdong--another shopping district in Seoul.  Kpop was even playing in stores! (my not-so-guilty almost year long obsession)  I was also really happy to see friends from home especially Miss Stacey Shiau.  We went through Literary Journalism together at UCI and now we're both in the same boat--abroad  in our motherlands and still sort of lost in what to do in our lives.  


With Stacey @ Shilin Night Market (tons of people and an overwhelming amount of clothes!)


Reunion @ Primo

Somehow being in Taiwan inspired me to have a yearning to learn Mandarin and to read/write Chinese.  I can understand a few phrases that sound similar to Canto, but it's extremely limited.  Maybe I'll take it this semester?  Having another semester here is kind of fresh and exciting again.  I can't believe I've already been away for four months.  New roommates, new hallmates, new classes...new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment